Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Ask Why. Then sit back and watch the magic happen.

I recently had the pleasure of spending some time with Blueprint Education and Hope High School in Arizona. They have some courageous and amazing teachers who are working to inspire students to make better choices and be champions of their own learning. 

I was reminded again of the power of individual contribution to team goals and the amazing things that can happen when you let others lead the conversation.

We played a game designed to iterate over cross-functional team goals and to learn about each other's skills. 

Instead of me facilitating the follow-up discussion (retrospective), I asked one of the principals who was there if they would be willing to facilitate for their team.

I started by simply asking them.....


"Why do you think I just did this exercise with you?"

"What was the purpose?"

Then, I just sat back and let things happen.

Wonderful conclusions happened from the Principals and the rest of the Leadership team.


Define Objective

  • Reflect on Leadership Style to look for ways to empower Staff to Run w/Goals
  • Live the Learning
  • Less Rules: More Creativity
  • Knowing When to Release the Reins
  • Team Progress Allows more opportunity for Innovation & Risk Taking














I had not planned on taking them to this place, but was amazed they came here. It was far more than I had hoped for or could have planned for.

This is why I love to use this approach. 

As a facilitator, if you can find ways to allow self-expression happen instead of trying to decide on outcomes yourself, the results can be amazing.

Next time you choose a session or a game, consider asking "Why did I choose to share this particular learning with you?"......

Then sit back and watch the magic happen.



Mike Caspar
Passionate About Agile

References:

Blueprint Education
Hope High School

To learn more about Agile in Schools, start by following @agileschools